Search This Blog

Blogs of friends

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Teacher Gifts

I didn't go wild and crazy on teacher gifts this year because my hubby told me to reign in my Christmas budget.  He's the accountant and the one with the level head so I figured that I better behave.  I did want to do something for them, though, so I decided to sew something with some scrap fabric and make some homemade hot chocolate mix using ingredients from the grocery store.
First things first, Alexander's class raised enough money through all of the parents to buy Mrs. Sanabria an Ipod touch, speakers, and an iTunes gift card.  I know that she and the kids will enjoy listening to multi-cultural music in class (and she can enjoy it during her off time, too)!  So, I decided to make a little carry pouch for the Ipod and I used this very well written tutorial.  I did make mine about 3/8" bigger all the way around so that I would be sure that there would be enough room in it.  I tested it out using my iPhone but I'm pretty sure that the shape has completely changed since I got my phone over two years ago (Wow, I think it's time to upgrade).  Crossing my fingers that it fits!  Alexander's teacher is WAY into owls, or at least that's what we've been told, so I used some cute owl fabric from a jumper that I made for Charlotte (Check out the jumper here.) Here are a couple pics of the new pouch!  

Charlotte has a teacher and a teacher assistant so I had to come up with two things to give at her school.  I made some hot chocolate mix with the following recipe:

Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
Yield: About 20 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
2 cups powdered sugar
1½ cups cocoa powder (Dutch-processed preferred, but regular okay)
1½ cups white chocolate chips (or chopped white chocolate)
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Whisk together all ingredients in a large bowl. Working in two batches, pulse the ingredients in a food processor until the chocolate is finely ground. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
2. To make hot cocoa, put 1/3 cup of the cocoa mix in a mug and stir in 1 cup of hot milk. Top with whipped cream or miniature marshmallows.
(Recipe adapted from Cook’s Country)
I found a little basket, a pretty mug, a homemade (not by me) candycane, and some marshmallows and came up with a sweet little present!
Tomorrow, I hope to share a few pictures from Charlotte's Christmas program and Alexander's party; we'll see how my brain is functioning.  To remember all of the teacher gifts, the secret Santa gift for Charlotte's classroom, and the camera may be a bigger feat than I can accomplish.  Cross your fingers!

No comments: