Search This Blog

Blogs of friends

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Baby gifts and Huntsville trips

I have had good intentions ever since I found out that Alexander's preschool teacher (from last year) was pregnant. I knew I wanted to make something for her but I didn't really know what I was going to do. Then, I rediscovered some fabric that I fell in love with at Joann. Immediately, I knew that Rachel's baby needed some boutique-style burp clothes and a matching bib. I didn't feel like buying a pattern for a bib and I figured that I could find some sort of tutorial on the net about making the burp cloths. I purchased some terry cloth from Joann. This is a great way to save a little money (those burp cloths that you buy at target and babies r us aren't cheap) and you can make them whatever size you want. Our friend, Emily, had given us a burp cloth (purchased but handmade) that had a terry backing and I loved it! So, here's the tutorial that I found when I got home. Of course, I wanted to use all of the fabrics together so I modified the 'pattern' a little bit to dress these up a bit. I used one of Charlotte's bibs to make a pattern for the gift bib. To do this, I laid the bib down and traced around it. Then, I added about 3/4 inches
around the whole tracing (this is for the seam allowances). I've discovered this wonderful thing called top stitching. Check it out...it can make a project look very finished!!

The three coordinating burp cloths (one embellished with pompoms, one plain fabric, and one with a thin strip of coordinating ribbon).
The bib is reversible but I forgot to take a picture of the back. The backing fabric is the same as the plain fabric burp cloth above.I still haven't finished the dress for Charlotte made from Peter's shirt. I've had a few distractions!
~On Friday afternoon, my friend, Amanda, and I went to Huntsville, Alabama to visit the Martha Pullen School of Art Fashion. Unfortunately, we didn't go to sew (this time). We knew that they had a good sale going on so we made the quick trip and purchased a few fun items to add to our sewing collection. I think Amanda really wanted me to see what it was like so I would be game to go to the classes next year (I'm SOLD!). On the way home, we stopped in Fayetteville, TN at Sirs Fabric, a great discount fabric store. There were lots of choices and I hope to go back to choose some fabric to make drapes for our front room (some day). I highly recommend stopping in if you're in the area (note that it's about 25 minutes off of I65 so it's not a quick jaunt).
~Both of the boys in my family are sick. It's a sore throat, cough, runny nose, grouchy sort of sick so I haven't had much time to do anything except keep up with the family.
~Charlotte has woken up in the night 4 nights in a row. We don't know if she's teething or if she has a sore throat as well. She's not eating very well (unusual) and she's chewing her fingers a lot. I suppose we'll figure it out soon. Either teeth will appear. Or they won't.
~I think I'm getting sick too...I hope not...but my throat is starting to hurt. We ate a bunch of kiwi-fruit tonight, they're high in Vitamin C, to aid in fending off the virus.
Thanks, y'all, for reading and for the great feedback. It's so fun to find out that you're keeping up with us!

No comments: