Search This Blog

Blogs of friends

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Evening Fun

After having a few friends over for dinner, I needed some me time. So, I made this dress!

It's the first time that I've used this pattern and I modified it a bit so that I could use a ribbon at the shoulders. It's a McCall's pattern and I'm pleased with how it turned out. Please don't zoom in on the photo, you might see all the places that I messed up! I hope that each one that I make will get better! Tomorrow, when Charlotte is up, I'll see if it actually fits her! I made the size 3 because I've learned that a lot of children's patterns run small (or maybe my kid runs big). It looks plenty wide but not sure if it's long enough.
Any ideas on how to keep the ribbon from fraying at the ends?

4 comments:

carrie said...

i wish sewing didn't make me want to hurt people. my mom and sisters sew. mom used to do wedding and bridesmaid dresses, but now mostly smocks and makes dresses for the grandkids.
anyway, for ribbon ends, she has always had me burn the edge. it melts the polyester so the threads can't ravel (sort of cauterizing it).

Anne Hamilton said...

Trust me, Carrie, there was some cussing going on! :) I've only just started sewing but I do find it rewarding to finish a project. The dress semi-fits Charlotte. It seems a little wide and a little short. Might need to get a pattern for bloomers!
And thanks for the ribbon tip!

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

if i remember correctly, i have used the heated tip of a glue gun to seal the ribbon edges. a bit more safe than an open flame.

Renee said...

a wood burning tool will also work to seal the ends.