Search This Blog

Blogs of friends

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Friday, June 4, 2010

Daylily wannabe

For those that don't know, last year, for Mother's Day, my family gave me the gift of digging a huge garden for me in the back yard. Thanks, mostly to my dad, I am well on my way to filling it with awesome perennials. Dad grows tons of different daylilys at his home in Indiana. Yesterday I asked him how many varieties he has and his answer was, "Over 580." Um, 580? That's just crazy. I'm pretty sure that 5 years ago I wasn't aware of what daylilys looked like, let alone that there were so many different types. I make fun of Dad, calling him a nerd with his little signs designating each flower's name and grower but I'm starting to think that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. While I don't have any signs (yet), I'm becoming more and more interested in growing my collection of daylilys. I think it's fun to educate my friends about the flowers; I've had so many people say that they've never seen so many different types. And I have very few compared to Dad! I had 3 new ones bloom this morning and Dad had 22! The best thing about daylilys is that they're relatively maintenance free. Once established, you don't have to water, they multiply so you can share with friends, and dead-heading isn't necessary but it does increase the flowers on your plant next year. Some of my established plants bloom for weeks! Below I've posted some photos of the flowers that have bloomed in my garden so far this year. I'm excited to see what will open up in the morning!


Antique Rose and Wyoming Wildfire

Siloam Ury Winniford and Little Big Man

Apple Pie Spice and Etched in Orange

Bertie Ferris

Jusin George and

1 comment:

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

you might have to come help me id mine! i have about 4 varieties. we have stella d'oro blooming right now, and i have tons if you want them. of course, with your dad's stash, you probably don't need any of mine!