Search This Blog

Blogs of friends

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Sunday, August 15, 2010

New techniques

While we were away in Indiana, I missed my sewing machine! Now that we're home and the first day of school has passed without a hitch, I'm back to creating! I found a great little quilt shop in Madisonville, Kentucky called Notions and Whims. She was selling a pattern for a skirt made with four fat quarters (also called quilter's quarters). It's the easiest pattern and I was able to get this made in two evenings! It would have taken less time if I had a serger but I chose to do french seams instead. I'm pleased with the outcome and now just need to find a shirt to coordinate.

I think it's lots of fun to try something new, especially when it turns out. I've seen lots of little girls with t-shirts with cute appliques and decided that I could probably do it at home. First, I chose my fabric and ironed it to a piece of thick fusible webbing (interfacing). Then, I drew a pattern on a sheet of paper and used it to cut out the "C". Then, before attaching it to the t-shirt, I used a zig-zag stitch all around the C to seal the edges a little bit. It will still fray some when we wash the shirt but not as much as if I didn't do the zig-zag. Next, I ironed some lightweight fusible webbing on the inside of the tshirt. Then, I placed the C on the shirt and stitched it on using a straight stitch. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, especially since I didn't do any research before starting the project. Maybe I'll take a look now that I've done it to see what I can do better next time. The skort (skirt with shorts attached) that she's wearing is made from a Children's Corner Sara's Skort pattern. Let me just give them a little plug...the Children's Corner patterns are very good. They're easy to follow and they fit together very well. After using several different varieties of patterns, I feel like I can say, with confidence, that they're some of the best patterns out there for children's clothes. Don't let some of the old fashioned photos keep you from trying a pattern using a modern print! Even if you don't live in town, you should take a look at their website and maybe plan a trip to take a class or two. You won't be sorry! Everything that I know about sewing I learned from one basic construction class at Children's Corner!!
Doesn't she look grown up?

No comments: