Search This Blog

Blogs of friends

Powered by Blogger.


Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sewing update

And here I am, again, letting you know that I am busy, busy, busy!  My sister-in-law, Michelle, had a baby a few weeks ago and she wanted a few boyish burp cloths to use since everything that she had for Lily was pink.  I threw these together, along with a matching 'Taggie' blanket for sweet Jackson.  I used the Gerber brand cloth diapers that come in a big pack from Target.  I'm sure there are lots of tutorials out there on how to add the fabric/ribbons to these but I just winged it since it was a fairly easy task.  

Here's Jackson wearing the gown that Amanda and I made for him (it matches Lily and Michelle!).  He has the cutest blonde hair and is a really pretty baby.  Can't wait to watch him grow up!

Also, Michelle started talking about how she was going to try to sew Lily's Halloween costume and I volunteered to help (seeing as how Michelle was going to pop out a baby at any moment).  I was excited to deliver it to Michelle because it turned out really cute.  Yes, I'll toot my own horn because it turned out and I was happy!  I used the Children's corner Louise Pattern (the same one that I used here and on another dress that I don't have a blog post about).  It's amazing how a pattern can use different fabric and a different hem-line and it looks totally different.  For this Minnie dress, I added a collar, sleeves, and shortened the hem.  I also added a ribbon sash.  The pattern comes with a collar but it didn't look like Minnie's so I used the same line of the given collar but changed the shape so it would mimic Minnie's.  The puff sleeves were easy to add and I think the shorter skirt allows the dress to flare out a bit better.  We put a pink tutu under the dress to add more volume and to make it more fun to twirl.  I can't wait to see pictures of Lily in her Minnie dress!

And, I have to say special thanks to my WONDERFUL hubby who got me a children's size 3-4 dress form for my birthday.  It's pictured above with Lily's Minnie dress on it and I think it's just fabulous.  Not only does it make taking pictures of my creations much easier, I've already used it during creation to make sure that a garment would hang correctly and fit Charlotte.  LOVE it!!  Thanks, husband who doesn't like to be named on the internet!
Now, back to my sewing machine and serger.  I still have to finish Alexander's costume (pirate), start Charlotte's costume (Tinkerbell), and make Peter and my costumes (Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head).  No pressure!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh my word, Anne! That dress, those burp cloths and the taggie are so cute!