Search This Blog

Blogs of friends

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Reuasable sandwich and snack bags

The finished products
I've tried really hard the past year to use gladware instead of plastic baggies but sometimes it's just easier to stick some things in a bag.  So, I decided that I'd make a few reusable bags.  There are lots of tutorials out there but I chose this one.  I followed it step by step for the sandwich bag but my sewing machine kept arguing with me about the thickness of the fabric.  I even put a denim needle on the machine, right after I broke the other needle that I was using.  Anyhow, I decided that for the snack bags, I would sew them together a bit differently but I still used the tutorial, loosely.  Instead of making all of those hemmed edges, I sewed the plastic onto the right side of the fabric and left a hole at one end so I could turn it (just like you would do if you were making a lined garment).  It worked out pretty well.  I also added velcro closures to the snack packs.  I don't recommend using the velcro with the sticky back if you're going to sew it on...it makes your needle all gummy and the sticky gets stuck on your fabric too.  However, if that's all you have, don't forget to clean your needle and presser foot when you're done. 
The inside of the bags.

I made some yummy dinner tonight.  It was a shepherd's pie but instead of regular mashed potatoes, I used sweet potatoes (they have more nutrients than the white ones).  I got the recipe from this month's Rachel Ray magazine.  I imagine that you could probably find the recipe online but I'm too lazy to find it.  Just thought I'd put the bug in your ear to try something different occasionally.  It can't hurt! 

Also, say a little prayer for me, Charlotte, and Ms. Cricket (Charlotte's mother's day out teacher).  Tomorrow is her first day of 'school'!  They go from 9:30-2:30 which means that they take a nap while they're there.  I think she'll have a good time but the routine will take some learning and getting used to.  I'm sure that I'll post a few pictures of our sweet girl tomorrow after I drop her off.  Stay tuned!

**And a special thank you to Sarah for loaning us her camera while mine is being held hostage by my Dad! 

No comments: