Search This Blog

Blogs of friends

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Monday, May 16, 2011

Broken foot and kale.

So you're probably wondering where my to-do Tuesdays have gone.  I didn't stick with that for very long, did I?  Well, two weeks ago, Peter went on a trip to Hungary and Turkey for his MBA program (check out Vanderbilt's Executive MBA program - it's fabulous, aside from all the work).  I did my best to stay busy and didn't do much on top of regular kid-care.  I certainly have a lot of respect (and lots of awe) for my friends whose husbands travel on a regular basis.  I would go crazy!
Then, last Tuesday I was on my way out the door to hunt for cicadas with the kids and fell down our deck stairs, breaking a little bone in my foot.  So, I'm on crutches for a little while and then will transition into a walking boot.  Hoping that it will heal quickly!
We were privileged to get to go to a friend's Harvest Kickoff party and I took my favorite Kale recipe.  I modify it a little bit each time I make it but here's the main recipe:



CREAMY WHITE BEAN SOUP W/ KALE, GARLIC AND SAUSAGE
 8 oz. kielbasa, thinly sliced (I use a turkey sausage that doesn't have skin)
1Tbs. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
29 oz of reduced sodium chicken broth (2 cans) (I make my own and freeze it in plastic canning 'jars' or in freezer bags)
4 cups chopped kale (sometimes i use fresh spinach but the kale holds up better)
2-3 cans of white Canellini or great northern beans (You can also use dried beans but make sure you soak them overnight and cook them before adding to the soup).
 
1. Brown kielbasa in large saucepan over med-high heat about 4 mins. Remove from pan.
2. Add oil to pan and cook garlic about a minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add beans,
and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Remove 1 cup of soup, including beans, and puree in blender until smooth (I use my immersion blender instead). Stir bean puree, cooked sausage, and chopped kale into soup and simmer until kale is tender, about 5-7 mins.
Makes 6 1/2 cups (4 servings)

I always double this recipe and freeze half so that I can pull it out for a quick, easy meal.  And, just in case you've gotten SOOOOO much kale that you don't know what to do, here's another kale soup recipe that's yummy!



KALE, LENTIL, AND CHICKEN SOUP
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 C. chopped onion
1 C. coarsely chopped carrot
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 C. chicken broth
1 Tbsp. basil ( fresh) or 1 tsp. dried basil
4 C. coarsely chopped kale
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground pepper
1 1/2 C. cubed cooked chicken
1 med. tomato chopped
1/2 C. lentils

1. In a large saucepan heat oil over medium low heat.  Add onion, carrot, and garlic.  Cook, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Add broth and, if using, dried basil to vegetable mixture.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in kalesalt, and pepper.  Return to boiling, reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in chicken, tomato, lentils, and, if using, fresh basil.  Simmer, covered, for 5-10 minutes more or until kale and lentils are tender.

No comments: